Wednesday, March 26, 2008

DB Post Wednesday March 26th

Chester

It has been a horrible day. I'm sorry to have to tell all of you that Chester died at Rabbit Island today. As you know , he remained scrauny looking after his molt, and showed no signs of improving with each sighting. It became more and more obvious that he was unresponsive to other animals near him,and inundation by the rising tide. He basically never moved all day. At 1607 I knew I had to make the call, and notified NMFS personnel, who arrived at Rabbit Island at 1824 to recover Chester's body. Recovery operations were completed around 1900.

Needless to say, I am devastated, and I know many of you will mourn his loss as well. It pains me to the bone to have to give you this news.

Chester and I met at Poipu, Kauai in 2001. Each and every day was an adventure. Aloha, DB


(out of respect for this animal the photo of him is as most of us remember him and not of his final day- donna)

2 comments:

Donna said...

Dear friends,

Words can not express the heaviness I feel in my heart. I am overwhelmed with saddness that I have lost something that touched my heart so deeply.

I will forever be grateful to Chester the Hawaiian Monk Seal, who brought a community of people together. His presence brought me some wonderful new friendships and mostly lit the fire in my heart to fight for this species survival.

To all of you who work with, care for or support the Hawaiian Monk Seal I am sorry for the loss of this beautiful boy.

Barbara said...

It is with deep sorrow to have heard the news on Chester. We met Chester on Nimitz beach 2/15/08 and again on 2/19/08.We both felt he looked pretty skinny and sad. But I was honored to have met him. I feel for DB. This seal whisperer spends long hours, years with these amazing animals. My heart goes out to you DB. I think we should all get together one day and have a memorial for this sweet creature of the sea and shore. Maybe have a plaque put up in his memory close to Rabbit Island where he chose to die. I wish Wyland could make a sculpture of him. Wouldn't that be nice. Now I am determined to make a seal day and state mammal in Chester's honor!! So long sweet friend of the sea!!!! I promise you you will never be forgotten!!! with a hole in my heart, Barbara Billand.