Sunday, March 23, 2008

DB Post Sunday March 26th

Temp406@Campbell Industrial Park, Kermit & Irma@ White Plains, Buster@ Spitting Cave, et.al., 3-23-08

The Rabbit Island cast was the girls, RB08 & Sadie, plus Chester, RIP and Temp 403. I found Buster doing 8 minute dives at Spitting Cave.

The Billands called at 0842 to report that Temp 406 continues to rot at Campbell Industrial Park. I'd guesstimate something like 40% + molted. The boy is a train wreck.

Tracy called from White Plains to report that both Kermit and Irma were there today. Brenda Sparks photos confirmed Kermit. Aloha, DB


My 2 Cents: I have to agree with DB, this is one scraggly looking seal.... and if I didnt' know better I would think it was Chester.... I mention this because lately Patricia, Sharon and I have been commenting how Chester still looks really thin. We were all wondering if he hasn't gained back his "fighting" weight because he's older and its taking him longer to recover.... OR if they lose the weight a lot faster than gaining.
Also based on my limited knowledge I thought most males go through their molting in the winter months... Nov/Dec/Jan? Temp 406 seems to be running a little late this year, does anyone have any thoughts on why?

Okay good people, I hope you are enjoying this site and PLEASE feel free to comment!







1 comment:

Barbara said...

It is with deep sorrow to have heard the news on Chester. We met Chester on Nimitz beach 2/15/08 and again on 2/19/08.We both felt he looked pretty skinny and sad. But I was honored to have met him. I feel for DB. This seal whisperer spends long hours, years with these amazing animals. My heart goes out to you DB. I think we should all get together one day and have a memorial for this sweet creature of the sea and shore. Maybe have a plaque put up in his memory close to Rabbit Island where he chose to die. I wish Wyland could make a sculpture of him. Wouldn't that be nice. Now I am determined to make a seal day and state mammal in Chester's honor!! So long sweet friend of the sea!!!! I promise you you will never be forgotten!!! with a hole in my heart, Barbara Billand.