Monday, November 27, 2023

November 27, 2023 (part 2) Rabbit Island

In her own words:

There were ultimately seven HMS seen on RI today.

About 50 feet Makapuu side of 1BS was an Adult Male (AM): adult size, medium gray male belly and two red tags.

RG32: adult size, old coat, brown male belly, no visible tags, and a scar above the right eye. He appears to have finally started his molt as evidenced by the breaks in the fur on his chest. I'd estimate his molt at 2%.

Between Middle Cliff and 3BS was a seal I'm labeling as a Subadult Female (SF): subadult size, a light female belly (I think); not sure about tags.

Down from 3BS was RK24 Wawamalu/Bruno: adult size, mottled gray male belly, scar on left side of lower lip and two red tags.

Near each other and SRI were two seals:

Weaner Female 1 (WF1): weaner size, older coat, yellowish brown female belly and two red tags.

Subadult Male (SM): subadult size, light male belly, not sure about tags. I never got a good look at the RFF for a nb, so I don't know if this is R606.

At 2:56 pm I became aware of Weaner Female 2 (WF2) on RRB. I had not seen it on earlier looks there. The WF2: weaner size (I think larger than WF1), older coat, yellowish-brown female belly, and two red tags.

The Sooty Terns continue to confuse me. When I arrived this afternoon there was a small group (maybe 500) on the slopes above SRI. Then they all left and no more Sooty Terns were seen after that.

No comments: