Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DB Post Wednesday August 27th

Kerby,Hoku,RB08@RI, Rocky@HB, Kolohe@Moku Manu, 8-27-08
It was an interesting day. I found Rocky waiting for me at HB for the 3rd consecutive day, and while there, Thea called at 0700 with the report of an animal at Kaiona Beach Park in Waimanalo, with "an antenna on it's back" When I arrived at 0717 I spoke with the caller as well as fishermen in the area and all confirmed the antenna. Obviously, that meant Kolohe or Hoku, and since I haven't seen Kolohe in 8 days, I was really pulling for him. I found nothing, but decided to immediately check RI. If Hoku was there, then the Kolohe ID would be confirmed. Naturally, there was NOBODY at RI. So much for that plan !

Thea called at 0915, having exchanged emails with Charles, who is cruising the NWHI. His magic computer came thru with the answer. We'd been under the impression that Kolohe's transmitter was not working, but apparently it's intermittent. He confirmed that Kolohe is , in fact, hanging out in the Moku Manu area, off shore of the Mokapu Peninsula, and that Hoku appeared to be in the Waimanalo area ! Ain't science grrrreat !!!

Hoku hauled out to RI, at 1049. I now know that has broadened his travels to this side. At 4 months the weaners start exploring like this , and that's when they can get into trouble.

I haven't been saying anything about Kolohe , except to say that he was a no show, but I've thought all along that his disappearance occurred at the same time that both M38 and RIP took off. I'd been wondering if he hadn't tagged along, and I'd say that it's a distinct possibility. Both RIP and M38 are known to go to Moku Manu. Kolohe might have gone along for the adventure ????? It is of great comfort to know where he's at.

In addition to Hoku, the rest of the RI cast was Kerby and RB08. All were there and in snooze mode when I called it a day at 1600. Aloha, DB
Hoku
Kerby & RB08

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I hope with all my heart and soul, kolohe is alright! If he is exploring the seas, I hope he decides to come back to R.I. soon. We tried looking out Waimanalo area today in hopes of finding the three muskateers but found nothing. We should have a search party set up, come on guys join in the search for the sweet Kolohe. All ya need are your eyes, binoculars and determination and some faith!What is this, like day nine and no Kolohe? Where are you little munchkin Come back to R.I.!!!! Miss you!!!!!!