Friday, August 10, 2018

8/10/18 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) : Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was overcast when I started out this morning with some light showers then it turned into a nice day.
My first seal was RK40 "Napua" D98 right in front of one of our beach accesses. During the day she moved a little and this evening at sunset she was right in front of our house.
RN58 "Luana" was at 10Mnts Beach, I put a "Shhh I'm Sleeping" sign and went on.
I met a very nice couple Susan & Carl, they were in heaven cause they had just seen a baby seal. I said something about RK88 and they beamed. Yes they had seen a K89 tag. I did a quick outreach, told them about little boy "Puna" D104. They'll probably be reading the blog tonight or in the morning. They showed me photos and videos. Alas when I made to the location he was no where to be seen.
I then headed to the NARS, the tide was VERY high and waves were rolling in big volumes. BG & Nihoa's Pools were one giant pool, while I was watching the motion I saw a head bop up and down. For the next hour and a half I saw the seal go in and out of every pool, water way all the way to the point. I saw a second seal swimming near the Runway while this seal was in Ka'ena's Pool. They never met. Seal #1 turned out to be RK36 Kauai Kolohe and #2 RE74 "Benny"
While doing outreach on the Main Beach a visitor from Texas told me there was a seal on Back Beach. I went to check and found RL12 "Aukai" just on the corals above the sand beach right behind her RE74 "Benny" came out of the water as a torpedo. She looked back at him turned around and galumphed up the beach. Benny tried to get closer but she  ignored him completely. So he turned around and left. I watched him swim away in the Waianae direction.
RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" was starting to move around, the waves were getting bigger and stronger, making the pool disappear  in masses of water.
I followed him as I was leaving and he made it all the way to the girls pools than went back to the point side.
While in the NARS I saw my 1st Shearwater chick, a cotton ball with a black beak.

On my way back I stopped to check again for RK88 "Puna", 4 young man had set up a little camp and had fishing poles out. I was just telling them that there had been a weaner in the little cove between them and the poles. They smiled and said he's there aunty. Sure enough squished between rocks was "Puna". I left with a smile cause I knew he was well guarded by those boys.
RN58 "Luana" was still on the beach. There were some visitors around as well as HMAR, so I pick up my sign and left.

At sunset I checked again on Napua she was still there sleeping away. More tomorrow๐ŸŒบ

 
Aukai finished her molt and is looking quite beautiful

No comments: