Sunday, August 5, 2018

8/5/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Windy blustery, sunny and rainy morning
I made it out to the NARS this morning under the above weird weather. I gave David (one of our Sunday volunteers) a ride to Manini Cove and followed on.
On our way we saw RN58 "Luana" @ 10Mnts Beach near the water line. Trails and wallow showed she spent the night near the Naupaka line.
At the NARS I saw RO40 "Ka'ena" do a drive by the outside pool of the Main Pool, while doing outreach I followed him with my eyes till the Runway,. I expected to see him in his pool later.
I went up the cliff to see the smoke & fire on the Waianae side - from there it looked like it was in the Ranches area, hope cattle and horses are OK.


Hiking back I checked Ka'ena's Pool and he WASN'T there ! I went on looking at nooks and crevices till I found him trying to haul out @ Squinty's Cove. He stayed for a very short while till a big wave washed him off the ledge. He then swam back towards to the point side. I followed and found him hauling into BG's Pool.

Leaving NARS's fenced area something caught my eye down in the water. a WEANER !!! Took xxxxx photos but only IDed RK40 "Napua" (F) after downloading my pics. Great water tag shots. It's her first documented visit that far. I didn't see RK88 "Puna" (M) today. Was told by visitors that there was a small baby with 2 red tags in a pool in the NARS...could have been him or "Napua".

I picked David up and we checked on "Luana", R330 "Squinty" had joined her. Both were sleeping peacefully side-by-side.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº

 Fire on Waianae Side
 

No comments: