Friday, April 25, 2008

DB Post Friday April 25th

Ewa Girl & Pup@ Rabbit Island + Mojo & Irma@ Spitting Cave, 4-25-08
My observation day was affected by crappy visibility (heavy VOG), an appointment, and afternoon rainy weather. On my initial check at 0700 I could make out Ewa Girl and the pup right where I'd left them yesterday, slightly right of 2BS (2nd Blue Sign).

I became involved in a search for an animal initially reported by a diver at Hanauma Bay, though checks of Hanauma Bay and Toilet Bowl were fruitless. I decided to check the Kokee flats (KK) and out at the end of the flats, found fisherman posse member , Kevin, who said he'd seen a animal in the water and that it had just departed as I was walking down the flats. Spitting Cave seemed like the next logical stop, so off I went, arriving at 1107. At 1110, Irma, her N3 bleach clearly visible, surfaced to the right of the big rock.

She had last been sighted at Oneula Place in Ewa Beach on 4-18-08. Obviously, she is back in the SE quadrant, and managed to get here without a Waikiki haul out. Thank You Irma !! I expect Sandy Beach or Irma's haul outs for the next few day, but only Irma knows.

When I got back for the afternoon Rabbit Island check, I could only see a partially visible Ewa Girl behind the water front rocks at 2BS. I didn't see the pup until 1220, since it was hidden behind the rocks. I observed a single water session, in the shallows, followed by a feed.

I also saw what would turn out to be Mojo. He was just another swimming head as he passed 2BS, but at 1220 he hauled out at the left end of the beach, and after seeing his top, left side of head natural bleach, tags and male belly, I knew it was Mojo.

My day was abruptedly ended by an approaching bout of heavy, black, rain and loss of visibility I got outta' there just ahead of the squall, at 1400.

No comments: